Using a traditional farmhouse inspired painted board and batten wainscoting with an elaborate crown molding cap, this bathroom was added on the second floor to service each of the bedrooms. A clean marble tile floor grounds the design with a period correct touch reminiscent of some of the first indoor bathrooms many years ago. The antique cast iron claw foot tub was purchased, refurbished and re-glazed to give it back its original luster, paired with a shiny new chrome hand shower and spigot. The shutter over the window was original to the home, found covered in dust and hidden away in the corner of the attic. Cleaned, repainted and re-mounted, it now provides a beautiful source of privacy and character for a bathroom window.
Built in 1883 by a local Sea Captain named Smith Stiles and his family, this quaint and unassuming farmhouse sits on a large parcel of open farm land in the small town of South Dennis, once populated with livestock and horses. Through the decades that have passed, many additions have been built doubling the square footage of the home. Along with those additions came renovations and updates to the interior of the house resulting in the removal of all the original character of the house including trim, windows and doors. Knotty pine panels took the place of plaster walls, vinyl windows replaced the original wood double hungs and hollow core doors filled the doorways where solid wood four-panel doors once hung. Luckily, there were a few remaining doors and the front entry door stowed away in the attic. Now the headquarter’s of Fine Architecture, this home is being returned to it’s original grandeur room by room, detail after detail. Follow along as the renovations continue and take a peak at the work that has been completed to date.